Sunday, March 13, 2011

Project: FFX Treasure Chest: Part 2

      So the basic box is done, time to make the top.  I'm gonna do this with pole wrap, a product made for covering unsightly supports, usually in basements.  First I cut three half round pieces the width of the side of the box minus the thickness of the pole wrap x2.  Then 2 the size of the actual side.  Then I drilled holes through all three and glued a dowel into them that I used as a spacer.  The center half round I cut the center out of.  The pictures should make this clearer.
2 sides and 3 cut out center pieces.
The dowel is glued through the 3 center to give you your spacing.
Now it's time to put on the pole wrap.  I glued it and tacked it on with some brads.

That's pretty easy.  Now I have the basic parts, it's time to stain them, then put them together.
Just used basic walnut wood stain.  Now we put the top on with some hinges and add a closer so it can't slam on your fingers.  Also it will stay open if you want it to.

Again these are the easy parts.  Now you have a decent chest.  Now to paint it to look like the chest in the game.  This requires lots of  blue or green masking tape.  Not the tan stuff.

You just have to start taping where you want to make the lines like say the gold stripes on the top.

Tape it off and paint it gold, wait for it to dry take off the tape and do another part.  Keep going till you have stuff filled in.  I used a metallic gold craft paint.  Of course ideally I would not paint it, I would cut the pieces out of brass and steel.  But god that would take forever.

So I filled in a bunch of gold then I mixed some gray and silver to fill in the side bits.  Well I worked away at it and here are a few pictures of the Finished, for now, product.

I have to say I'm not entirely pleased with it, but now I have a FFX chest so there's that

No comments:

Post a Comment