Saturday, March 5, 2011

Project: FFX Treasure Chest: Part 1

      I lost my mind, so I thought I'd make a Final Fantasy X treasure chest from scratch.  Crazy.  Anyway,  here's what I did.  The first step was of course trying to find as many pictures as I could.  Google has crap.  Luckily I was playing FFX at the time so I took pictures of game screens.  Still there is no perfect picture.

      Well,  that's the best I got.  So I went and got some cedar 1x8s from the Lowes,  cut them to length,  and then glued them together to make the sides about 14" high.  With 4 sides put together I made a 1/4" groove ( dado ) about 1" from the bottom.  This is for the 1/4" luon I cut out for the bottom of the chest.  The bottom gets put into that groove while the four sides are glued together to make the basic box.
Gluing the sides together.  Nice to have lots of clamps.

The 4 sides with dado's cut, and the luon bottom.
Gluing the box together with the bottom in place.

There you have a nice basic box.  Lots of sanding then ensues.  This is the first step and I thought it turned out well,  but there is so much more.  I think I made it to tall relative to the length and width.  It's going to end up taller than it should be,  but there is a limit to how big I want it to be.  I do want to take it to cons.  Next time,  HA HA HA,  I'll make it shorter and longer,   not wider.   Next working on the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment