Tuesday, August 17, 2010

My Top Five Manga: Right Now


     When I wrote about Nana the other day, I said it would crack my top five list.  That got me thinking as to what I would actually put on my top five list.  I came up with a quick one that is subject to revision, in oh about the time I finish writing this.  Here's what I came up with.
  1.  GTO
  2. Love Hina
  3. Kare Kano
  4. Nana
  5. Genshiken
     GTO's mix of comedy, drama and insanity is irresistible.  I'm sure they exist, but I have yet to find someone who doesn't like GTO.  It's a must read.  Love Hina is really a personal pick.  I could read it over and over, but I can see how it wouldn't work for some people.  It also has a bit of a slow point right before it's fast paced and glorious end.  Kare Kano is a shojo title that transcends the genre.  Great likable, and detestable, characters.  It goes from funny to sad and everything in between and makes it all work. Nana has maybe the most likable characters, but also the most real.  Everyone in this book does good and bad things.  You can sympathise with every character.  How can I leave out Genshiken, it's a good book that just happens to be about Otaku culture.  Again with likable and realistic characters.  I've sort of left out a lot of older stuff because it's just a different animal.  Also, I left out Miyazaki's brilliant Nausicaa Manga, as it is on a higher plane than other manga.  Really you should read that first, it's great.  Any way I'll change my mind momentarily, so I should stop now.

No comments:

Post a Comment